Choosing the perfect image for your creative projects can feel like searching for a needle in a haystack, right?
Many of us either dive into stock image platforms or try our hand at creating something unique. But let’s be honest, sometimes those images just don’t hit the mark—they can feel repetitive or just not quite right.
And hey, let’s face it—not all of us have that graphic design magic touch! But what if you could just chat about the image you’re picturing, and voilà, it appears?
Sounds like something out of a sci-fi movie, but guess what? With AI Art Generators, it’s our reality. Tools like Midjourney and Dall.E 2 are making waves by turning our words into beautiful visuals.
In this cozy little guide, I’m going to walk you through some of the standout free AI Art Generators of 2023.
And if you’ve been playing around with Midjourney, I’ve got some fantastic alternatives lined up for you.
Let’s first have a heart-to-heart about what these AI Art Generators are and what to keep in mind when picking one. Then, we’ll unwrap the top ten freebies for this year.
Ready to dive into top-notch AI Art Generators list? Let’s discover the leading alternatives to Midjourney.
What is an AI Art Generator?
AI Art is essentially artwork like pictures, drawings, digital designs, and other visual creations made using AI-based algorithms. Think of it this way: the AI studies a ton of pictures from the web to learn about art.
Now, there are special digital tools called “AI Art Generators.” When you use one, you just type in a description or idea. The generator, using what it learned, creates an image that matches your idea. So, you dream it, type it, and the tool shows it to you in a visual form. Cool, right?
How to Select AI Art Generators?
With so much AI-created art on the Internet, how do you choose the right tool to generate it? Here’s a simple guide to help you decide:
1. Under the Hood: The Technology: Start by understanding what powers the tool. AI art generators rely on machine learning and deep neural networks to create images. Familiar names in this field include Open AI’s Dall-E 2, Stable Diffusion, and Midjourney. Make sure the tool uses a reputable model.
2. Quality Over Quantity: Always test the final image quality. A quick way to compare multiple tools is to give the same prompt to each and see which one aligns best with what you envisioned. The clearer and closer it is to your idea, the better.
3. User-Friendliness: How easy is it to get started? Check the sign-up process. Is the tool’s layout intuitive? Also, note the time it takes to produce an image – faster isn’t always better, but it can be a factor.
4. Make It Your Own: Customization: A great AI art tool should let you tweak the results. Can you change the image style or size? Can you get different versions of the same idea? More options mean more freedom to get what you want.
5. Rights and Licensing: Last, but crucial: make sure you can legally use the images! Check the tool’s licensing terms. Ensure you can use the AI-generated art for both personal and business projects without any hitches.
10 Best Free AI Art Generators (Table Comparison)
|AI Art Generator||AI Model||Free Images||Visit|
|Leonardo AI||Multiple AI Models||150 free generations/day||Visit|
|Dall.E 2||Dall-E||15 images/month||Visit|
|Bing Image Creator||Advanced Dall.E||Unlimited||Visit|
|BlueWillow||Dall-E and Stable Diffusion||Unlimited||Visit|
|Adobe Firefly||Generative AI||Not known||Visit|
|Dream by WOMBO||CLIP and VQGAN||Unlimited||Visit|
|Craiyon||Google PU Research Cloud||Unlimited||Visit|
|NightCafe||Neural Style Transfer||4 free image credits||Visit|
|Canva Text to Image||Stable Diffusion||100 images/day||Visit|
|Stable Diffusion Web||Stable Diffusion||Unlimited||Visit|
10 Best Free AI Art Generators (2023)
1. Leonardo AI
Leonardo AI isn’t just another AI art generator; it’s in a class of its own. After diving deep into various tools, this one surfaced as the top pick, and here’s why:
- Fast and Quality Outputs: Leonardo operates on several finely-tuned image generation models. So, within a few moments, you get not just any design, but a visually appealing one.
- User Experience on Point: A blend of modernity and responsiveness defines its user interface. It doesn’t just create; it makes the creation process a joy.
- Freedom and Guidance: On signing up for the free tier, not only can you pick your desired AI model and style, but also specify what you don’t want through negative prompts. And if you’re lost for words, Leonardo gives you a nudge with a whopping 1000 AI-suggested prompts!
- Cutting-Edge Features: The Prompt Magic V3 and Alchemy are Leonard’s trump cards. Even in their Beta phase, they deliver unparalleled image quality that aligns closely with the prompts. Yes, they might eat up tokens faster, but the results? Absolutely worth it!
- Generous Free Plan: The daily offerings on the free plan are hard to beat – 150 image creations, 30 upscales or unzooms, and 75 background removals. For a free tier, that’s quite a treat.
Leonardo AI shines in delivering top-notch AI art. Whether it’s for casual use or a professional project where you desire impeccable quality, this tool could very well be your perfect Midjourney substitute.
2. Dall.E 2
Dall.E 2 is a brainchild of OpenAI Labs, launched in 2021. Using a massive foundation of 12 billion parameters and a version of ChatGPT, it’s more than just a name in the AI art generation realm.
- Text to Art Magic: This model can effortlessly convert your text-based prompts into digital images. Simply phrase your idea in natural language, and let Dall.E transform it visually.
- Using Dall.E: The process is straightforward. Log into your OpenAI account, key in your idea in the search bar, and click ‘Generate’. In moments, your screen will showcase a set of unique artworks.
- Results and Quality: While Dall.E holds its ground, I felt the images weren’t as high-quality or creatively diverse as some of its peers.
- Usage Limits: The free tier offers 15 image credits monthly. Admittedly, this isn’t as generous as some might hope. For more extensive needs, exploring additional tools might be a good idea.
Dall.E 2 is an excellent starting point in the AI art journey, especially if you’re keen on exploring OpenAI’s offerings. However, for high-quality, varied creations or more frequent usage, you might want to peek at the other tools on this list.
Microsoft’s foray into AI art generation, Bing Image Creator, launched in March 2023, stands out. It’s powered by an evolved version of the Dall-E technology, pushing boundaries in text-to-image transformation.
- Getting Started: It’s straightforward. Navigate to the Bing Image Creator website and sign in using your Microsoft account. Once in, key in your text prompt and watch as the AI conjures multiple image options, neatly displayed in a grid format.
- Features and Flexibility: It’s not just about image generation. The platform lets you share your AI-generated art, save it for later, or download it for use elsewhere.
- Usage and Credits: One of Bing Image Creator’s standout features is its generous daily allowance of 100 image credits. If that’s not enough, you’re still in luck. While post-credit images are generated at a slower pace, there’s no cap to how many you can produce. That’s quite the advantage!
- Comparative Quality: Placed side-by-side with Dall-E’s outputs, Bing Image Creator emerges as the more refined tool in terms of image quality.
Bing Image Creator, with its blend of quality and generous usage terms, easily earns its place on this list. Especially for those wanting high-quality AI art without constant limitations, this Microsoft offering might just hit the sweet spot.
Making its entrance in January 2023, BlueWillow showcases a fresh take on AI art generation. Harnessing the power of established image models like Dall-E and Stable Diffusion, it crafts lifelike images and artwork.
- Usage Guide: To begin with BlueWillow, dive into their Discord server and hop onto any Rookie channel. Once there, it’s as simple as typing “/imagine” followed by your creative prompt. The result? A series of AI images that echo your description. If you fancy an upscale or want to explore variants of a chosen image, that’s on the menu too.
- Standing Out in a Crowd: While there are numerous AI art generators out there, BlueWillow’s commitment to unrestricted image generation is what truly sets it apart. No caps, no restrictions—just pure creative freedom.
- The Ideal Alternative: If you’ve been on the hunt for a Midjourney alternative that doesn’t come with the burden of limitations, BlueWillow might just be your match made in AI heaven.
BlueWillow seamlessly combines familiar technology with a user-friendly platform and the bonus of unlimited creations. For those seeking a liberating AI art experience without any strings attached, BlueWillow beckons.
Adobe Firefly steps into the AI art generation scene as Adobe’s latest offering. Even though it’s still in its Beta version, the promise it holds is evident.
- Usage Dynamics: Start by logging in with your Adobe account. Once you punch in your text idea, the platform provides additional tweaking capabilities. You can modify aspect ratio, choose the content type—be it a photo, art, or graphic—and also adjust style, color and tone, lighting, and overall composition.
- Display & Interaction: The results get showcased in a neat grid format, with each image offering options for exploring similar creations or straightforward downloads. Presently, there’s no specified cap on how many AI images you can generate.
The finesse and detail in the generated images are noteworthy. It’s definitely worth a shot if you’re looking for intricate and high-quality outputs.
Merging the capabilities of two AI neural networks—CLIP and VQGAN—Dream by Wombo stands out in the AI art space. VQGAN crafts images echoing other pictures it’s learned from, while CLIP determines how well a text aligns with an image. The result? Instant, tailored image creations.
- How It Works: Set up a free account, type in your prompt, pick an image style, and watch the magic unfold. Images get crafted in a mobile-friendly 9:16 ratio. Plus, they’ve got handy apps for both Android and iPhone.
- Perks and Limitations: Unlimited image creation is a big win. But, there are catches—the free tier limits you to one image at a time and keeps some premium art styles off-limits.
- Cost Dynamics: While unlimited, high-quality AI art is usually priced monthly, Dream breaks the mold. At a reasonable $9.99/month or a one-time $169.99 for lifetime access, they’re making waves in the pricing department.
Both Adobe Firefly and Dream by Wombo bring unique offerings to the table. Whether you’re looking for detailed, customizable outputs or unlimited creations with flexible pricing, these tools have got you covered.
Stepping into the limelight in 2022, Craiyon, the brainchild of Boris Dayma, aims to transform textual prompts into vibrant visuals. Originally christened as Dall-E Mini, it owes its prowess to the training it underwent on the Google PU Research Cloud.
- Ease of Use: Craiyon truly epitomizes user-friendliness. Not only does it offer boundless image generation, but it also spares you the rigmarole of account setups. Drop in a text prompt, pick your desired output format—be it Art, Drawing, or Photo—and witness a 3×3 grid of potential masterpieces.
- Distinctive Features: One feature that piqued interest is its provision for “negative words”. By indicating what you don’t want in the image, you have added control over the final product, ensuring the AI stays away from certain elements.
- A Critical Look: While the unlimited offering is commendable, the tool fell a bit short in the execution department. The resultant images, though decent, didn’t always hit the mark in terms of quality or accuracy. It might cater to some specific needs, but didn’t resonate strongly overall.
Craiyon certainly has its merits, especially for those seeking an unfettered AI art generation experience. But if precision and top-tier quality are paramount for your needs, it might be wise to explore other options too. However, given its zero-cost model, taking it for a spin might be worth your while.
Brought to life by Angus Russell in 2019, NightCafe offers a distinct approach to AI art generation. With its Neural Style Transfer technique, it allows a unique way to mold AI images into varying styles. Further refining its capabilities, it integrates the VQGAN+CLIP models, known for delivering precision and accuracy in image generation.
- User Experience: Navigating NightCafe is a breeze. Simply head to their website, feed in your text prompt, and then delve into the myriad styles they offer. Picking an AI model is just as intuitive.
- Usage Terms: For casual users, NightCafe offers the creation of a single image without any costs. However, if you’re aiming for multiple creations, you’ll start burning through your image credits. The tool generously offers 4 free image credits. And here’s a little pro tip: Signing up on NightCafe gifts you 3 extra credits. Quite the welcome gesture!
- Feedback on Output: While NightCafe does a commendable job in delivering on its promise, the quality of the generated images left a bit to be desired. They’re decent, yes, but not quite the showstopper I was hoping for.
NightCafe brings a fresh perspective to the AI art realm with its unique approach and generous free credits. While the image quality might not blow you away, it’s worth trying out, especially if you’re experimenting with styles or simply exploring AI art platforms.
Canva has long held its ground as a go-to for many in the graphic design realm. With a plethora of design options ranging from social media graphics to resumes, it has catered to diverse needs. Now, diving into the world of AI, Canva introduces its image generator based on the Stable Diffusion model.
- Getting Onboard: Kick off your Canva journey by signing up for a complimentary account. The AI Text to Image tool is neatly tucked away in the Apps section, making it easy to locate and launch.
- Operation & Output: Engaging with the tool is straightforward. Input your text description, opt for a desired image style, and select an aspect ratio to match your needs. The resulting images? They’re decent, though occasionally they might miss the mark in terms of relevance or detail.
- Usage Caps: With a generous allowance of 100 images daily, Canva provides ample room to experiment and explore.
- Insider’s Tip: If you’re fresh off the boat and eager to maximize your Canva experience, there are ample tutorials and guides available. Dive into some Canva tips and tricks to wield this tool like a seasoned pro.
While Canva’s Text to Image tool might not produce masterpiece-grade images every single time, its generous daily limit and the broader suite of design tools it offers makes it worth a spin, especially for beginners or those familiar with the Canva ecosystem.
Stable Diffusion Web is a renowned player in the realm of AI image generation, drawing its power from the Stable Diffusion model. Its promise? Delivering AI-crafted visuals without the hurdles of account setups or sign-ins.
- Ease of Use: The user experience is frictionless. Simply head over to their website, type in your creative prompt, and let the platform do its magic.
- Output Dynamics: Each generation cycle produces a set of 4 images, granting you a palette of options to choose from. The best part? There’s no ceiling on how many images you can generate, making it a haven for those who love to experiment.
- Quality Influencers: A key insight to bear in mind is that the tool’s performance is heavily influenced by the precision of your prompt. A more detailed and well-framed prompt typically yields more refined and accurate results.
- Prompt Inspiration: If you ever find yourself in a creative rut or just seek some inspiration, the Stable Diffusion Prompts Database is a treasure trove. It’s brimming with inventive and captivating ideas to fuel your next masterpiece.
Stable Diffusion Web positions itself as an accessible and efficient tool for AI-driven art generation. Whether you’re a seasoned artist or just dabbling in AI art, its blend of unlimited generation and a user-friendly interface makes it a worthy contender on this list.
Conclusion: AI Art Generators – The Future of Creative Exploration
In the ever-evolving landscape of AI and creativity, these AI Image Generators stand out as noteworthy Midjourney Alternatives. Among the plethora, Leonardo AI, BlueWillow, and Bing Image Creator have a special place on my list, serving my personal projects seamlessly.
AI-powered art tools are gradually cementing their position as indispensable assets for a myriad of sectors—blogging, social media campaigns, publishing, graphic arts, photography, and much more. Their potential to bring imagination to life, bridging the gap between an idea and its visual manifestation, is truly unparalleled.
If you’ve ever dabbled in the realm of AI art, I’m keen to hear about your journey. Were the results up to the mark? And if you haven’t yet, are any of the tools listed here piquing your interest?
Drop your thoughts, experiences, and questions in the comments. Let’s engage in a lively discussion on the future of AI in art.
Hey Reader, Welcome to MyQuickIdea. I am Nikhil Saini, started MyquickIdea as a passion and now it’s now covering different topics like Blogging, SEO, Marketing, Technology, Finance, Stock Market, Fintech, etc. I always prefer pushing quality content for my readers. I hope you would be liking it.